Making your own extracts is a fun and easy use of our 190-proof Organic spirits. Using your creativity, you can test out different concoctions and replace the need to buy that boring old vanilla extract!
If you are a fan of coconut, this is a recipe for you. Using our Certified Organic Coconut 190-proof, you can add more coconut to your extract for an extra tropical punch, although you can also use any of our neutral organic spirits.
Coconut Extract can be used in a variety of delicious recipes including cookies, cakes, and yes, cocktails. It’s also the perfect hosting gift this holiday season!
You can use fresh or dried coconut and see what flavors you are able to extract. My favorite batch was first toasting the dried coconut chips until lightly golden, but they do burn quickly so keep an eye on them! Since there are oils in the coconut, expect to have a cloudy mixture. You can strain it or even freeze it to separate the oil, although I left it for maximum coconutty-ness!
This recipe is extremely simple and only requires a little patience! Get creative and add in other spices or change your extraction times to intensify the flavors.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Mason Jar (I used 8 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh coconut shavings or chips
- Approx. 6-8 oz 190-proof Craft Grade Coconut spirits (you can use any of our neutral Organic spirits, but recommend Coconut for more flavor)
- Metal strainer or cheesecloth
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Carefully toast your coconut chips until lightly golden, let cool
- Place in Mason Jar
- Pour in Organic Coconut Spirits, making sure the coconut chips are fully covered
- Cap tightly and place in a cool, dark place
- Let sit for at least 2 weeks, shaking every few days
- Strain out the coconut (the mixture becomes cloudy with the coconut fats!)
- Bottle in darkly colored glass bottles and label
Use in baking or add a few drops to a rum cocktail! Enjoy! Due to the fats in the extract, I would recommend using it within 6 months and keeping it cool or refrigerated.
INTERESTED IN SOME RECIPES?
20 Tasty Ways to Use Up That Coconut Extract has a variety of fun recipes to test out your homemade Toasted Coconut Extract with.
10 Best Coconut Extract Recipes showcase a delicious Coconut Stuffed French Toast.