SUMMERTIME PEACH LIQUOR
DIY RECIPE OF THE MONTH
Summertime elicits thoughts of seasonal fruits ripened in the blazing sun. A classic summer favorite is fresh, juicy peaches. Luckily there are several u-pick farms around Southern Oregon where one can stock up and experience picking them fresh from the tree.
Aside from canning, baking, and eating fresh, these beauties can make a fantastic peach liquor that allows you to savor the flavor for months to come.
This recipe for Peach Liquor is a great addition to your summer traditions. I use this in Peach Bellini's and other various cocktails, and sometimes just chilled on the rocks! It's a perfect companion to a backyard BBQ, perhaps with grilled peaches on the menu.
THIS MONTHS RECIPE: SUMMERTIME PEACH LIQUOR
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 2 pounds Peaches
Ripe, Stemmed and Washed
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 2 cups Organic Alcohol
Organic Cane or Organic Grape work great
- 1 cup Distilled Water
- 64 ounce Mason Jar
- Metal Strainer
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Start by diluting the 190-proof Organic Spirit with Distilled Water in your Mason Jar. A 2/1 ratio will bring you down to approx. 63% (this is a stout liquor folks, enjoy with caution!).
- Next, boil Water and slowly stir in Sugar until clear, to make a simple syrup base. I have used Demerara sugar before which adds a nice flavor. Cool syrup and add to the Mason Jar.
- Slice Peaches thinly, saving pits.
- Add Peaches, their pits, the Lemon Zest and Orange Zest to your mixture of alcohol and syrup and seal.
- Agitate mixture and store in cool dark place for 2 weeks, shaking every few days.
- Strain out ingredients and store in fridge. You can also strain through Cheesecloth if more clarity is desired.
- Label, date, and store in the refrigerator up to 3 months (although to be honest, it's never lasted that long!).
Several creative recipes also infused some different herbs like Rosemary, Mint or Thyme to mix it up. A Peach/Thyme Bellini may be your next BBQ cocktail go-to!